Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Reflections on Returning

I've been away from work for 13 days, enjoying the British and Netherlandish countryside. My vacation was sigh worthy (when you think about it you get all those warm fuzzies about all the good times and then you take a deep breath and . . .) and yet I am kind of comforted by being back in this little box typing messages to my friends and avoiding the meager amount of work I have, even after a long absence. I've been here for 7 hours and about 25 minutes of work was required of me today.

I guess that even though I loved being gone from here. It's really nice to come back and realize that it's not so bad. That my "big kid job," as one of my friends has affectionately deemed it, is part of a life I enjoy leading.

I was on my way to grab a bite at lunch and two of my bosses were walking toward me and I prepared myself for the obligatory wave and smile and as they came closer and then as they were directly in fornt of me, they passmed me by without any acknowledgement. I felt totally invisible and it felt kinda good. Since the pay check I got last Friday while I was gallavanting though London was definitely not invisible. I must admit that being forgotten at a company truly has its advantages. For a little while.

I'm thinking about writing a story about a small subsidiary that is completely overlooked by its monopolous conglomerate owner until the company disappears into oblivion and all the employees continue to get paid due to the oversight ad infinitum.

Wishful thinking? Perhaps . . .

No comments: