Friday, November 10, 2006

A short days journey into night . . .at 4:30 in the freakin afternoon.

Has anyone else been suffering from post traumatic daylight savings syndrome??? It's 4:30 and I want to go to bed! I fell asleep at my desk yesterday. This is the first time I have held a desk job during the annual transition to shorter days, and so it is with a little discomfort that I've found myself not just bored but simply exhausted. I felt tired just flipping open my cell phone. . . . and I just ran a marathon a few weeks ago; something is definitely not right.

I guess it is the age old question of how much our experience of reality vs. reality's reality changes what we see and how we feel. 4:30 is still 4:30 but in darkness, everything that is the same feels even more langourous and drawn out at 4:30 than it did before. Is this psychobabble making sense? Another example - I was eating a salad for lunch the other day and some of the dressing had spilled inside the to-go bag that was housing said salad. Damn. I was sad ( I love salad dressing!) but I neatly deposited the remaining dressing onto my salad and munched away. I was so surprised that this little bit of salad dressing was really distributing itself very evenly on every peice of lettuce, draping itself just enough over each crumb of crouton and nibble of corn. There was even left over dressing swirling around the bottom of the plastic salad container to spare. It was simply DELISH, but when I got to the bottom of my barrel of salad and started to try and soak up the dressing, I realized that there was no extra dressing inside the container, there was dressing UNDERNEATH the container that just "appeared" to be at the bottom, the spilled amount was just floating between the bag and my clear plastic salad container. It was all a mirage. Then I started to realize that there wasn't much salad dressing, I could barely taste it. Had my mind overpowered the my underdressed mesclun greens into seeming scruptiousness?

Yes, with enough time on my hands and more than enough boreddom, this is really what I think about.

No comments: